top of page

What should I do if I think someone is suicidal?

  • If you think someone is suicidal, do not leave him or her alone.

  • Try to get the person to seek immediate help from his or her doctor or the nearest hospital emergency room, or call 911.

  • Eliminate access to firearms or other potential tools for suicide, including unsupervised access to medications.

  • A suicidal person urgently needs to see a doctor or psychiatrist

  • Call for help:

    • 1-800-273-TALK

    • 1-800- SUICIDE

    • Winnebago County Crisis: 920-233-7707

    • Outagamie County Crisis: 920-832-4646

    • The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: dial 988

Signs of Suicide
  • Talking about suicide

  • Preoccupation with death

  • Making comments or asking questions about suicide

  • Statements about hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness

  • Suddenly happier, calmer

  • Loss of interest in things one cares about

  • Visiting or calling people one cares about

  • Making arrangements; setting one’s affairs in order

  • Giving things away

  • Social isolation

  • Loss of concentration

  • Loss of energy

  • Irritability (especially with teens)

  • Worrying, Brooding, Stomach complaints 

Who Do I Call For Help (Crisis Hotlines):
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

(800) 273-TALK [8255]
TTY: (800) 799-4TTY [4889]
Español: (888) 628-9454

Trevor Project

(Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender)
1-866-488-7386 [866 - 4 U TREVOR]

National “YOUTH” Crisis Helpline


List of Wisconsin county crisis lines
Hover over your county on the map

2-1-1 Directory

The mission of United Way 2-1-1 is to provide easy, simple access to health and human services, to give callers an opportunity to give or get help, and to serve as a hub for community information in times of disaster.
Dial 211 or 1-800-924-5514

bottom of page